Friday, August 26, 2011

Starting Out


In Mid-July of this year, me and my beloved Petunia got in our last disagreement. Petunia is my 99' Mercry Sable LS. She was a good girl, but over the past few months she has been having some problems. Maybe it was my fault, I dont know a lot about cars, and I can admit I didnt take the time or the money to give my car the kind of attention a car of that age needed. So, long story short, I parked her. She has yet to be driven since. She just sits and gets filthy dirty.

And I have NO regrets.

A good friend sold me his bike after I figured out that I live relatively close to my job (under 5 mi) and that between my wonderful boyfriend, my amazing best friend, and my brother (he is pretty cool also) I could pretty much get anywhere outside of my normal 9-5 job.

It has been a little over a month since I have been carless. I feel that I should start blogging about the adventures that I have had and will most likely continue to have now that my major form of transportation is my legs.

I will have to say that my favorite part about walking/riding through San Diego, is that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. I am constantly reminded by the ocean, the trees, the architecture, the shops and stores, and the people of the unique elegance of my home. I have never been so happy to walk 5 miles in the heat (and I use the term heat very loosely since it rarely gets above 85 degrees).

So, from getting to work, to rehearsal, and maintaining a vibrant social life, getting around is definitely not easy, but it is not impossible.

Here is my new baby.
It's called a "Skinny Benny" and my first inclination was to name it "Benny" based on that fact, but since my boyfriend is named Ben the phrase "Oh, I rode Ben into work" just seems inappropriate. I figure the name will just come to me at some point, just like all my previous vehicles (The Bat-mobile, Old Man George, and Petunia) did after a decent amount of time.

So far me and The Bike (which will be it's temporary name) have got along really well. I do need to start looking into proper maintenance on bikes, and I am really dreading my first flat tire, but I keep telling myself that its not something that I cannot handle. Plus, I am fairly certain that it cannot be any worse than a flat tire on a car, and I have totally dealt with that in the past. (I wonder if I can get Triple A for bikes?)

So there's my starting out. I will hopefully keep up with this blog as much as possible. I know I have stuff to post to this already, but I need to digest this first, haha.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Kyle! Proud of you for starting a blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and IF you get a tire who's gonna change it Ellen is not down there to help you,LOL,,, guess you'll have to call your bestie......great blog by the way .. you'v always been a great writer...

    ReplyDelete